Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Recycled Christmas Cards II

Hi All!  Happy Tuesday!  Hope this finds you having a wonderful day.


Today's post is all about more recycled Christmas cards.  If you read my post yesterday, you'll see that I've made it my mission to take some of that clutter and turn it into art--mail-able art, that is!  So, on that note, I have another card to show you today.


The card began it's life like this:



I must admit that I accidentally took the photo after I had cropped (and embossed) the portion of the image I chose to use for this card...sorry!  The next photo makes things a little clearer:



The card I decided to try (for the first time) is an easel card with a twist--a "twisted easel" card!  Forgive me, but as hard as I've tried to remember, I simply cannot recall where I saw this recently.  However, if you'd like to view a video tutorial on how to make this card, go to youtube.com and type in "twisted easel".  There are many video tutorials from which to choose.

Okay, on to the finished card!  This is it and it is definitely one of my favorites!  :o)


For the specifics, I'll begin with the red cardstock card base, which I inked around the edges and on the inside base with my blending tool.  On top of that I placed a piece of gold cardstock which I embossed with snowflakes.  In order to add detail, I rubbed white ink very lightly over the raised snowflakes and then adhered it to my red base.  Next I added two layers of ribbon around the center, upon which I added a bit of bling.

The image was cropped from the original card using a Spellbinders die.  To enhance the frame around the image, I decided to use gold embossing powder along the edges.  Next, with a larger size of the same die, I cropped another rectangle, this time from my red cardstock.  Again, I used gold embossing power along the edges of the frame and then attached my image to this rectangle using foam tape.  When applying the layered image to the card over top of the two ribbon layers, I chose to use more foam tape (on the top and bottom of the image only).  This kept the image even all the way around its perimeter.



The next step was, of course, to add the details...the part I love the most!  I used my Martha Stewart punches for this!  :o)  The snowflakes were done in matching red cardstock and further adorned with small bells in the centers.  I then added a lovely sugared flower in the same background gold-tones, set off by sprigs of pine (one of my all-time favorite Martha Stewart punches).

For the inside sentiment I used a Christmas stamp on red cardstock which I cropped with my oval die and mounted on top of another corresponding die cut in gold.  Further, I cropped an oval acetate, ran it through my Xyron Sticker Maker, and layered each one atop the next to complete the focal set.




For the final touch, another set of ribbons, some bling, and a dash of pine sprigs.  

I hope this inspires you to dig out your favorite Christmas cards (or any cards for that matter) and reuse them to create new works of art.  If so, please email me so I can see your creativity, too!

Have a great day!

Merilee

Recipe:
Cardstock:  Red and gold-my stash; Acetate-recycled/reused Cricut Cartridge blister packaging
Recycled Christmas Card:  Hope Greeting Collection-Habitat Org.
Ribbons:  Red Velvet Ribbon-Frank's Nursery & Trims; Metallic Gold/Red Ribbon-Holiday Time
Embellishments:  Sugared Flower-Boutique Fleur Mulberry Paper Flowers by Recollections; Jingle Bells-my stash; Gold Rhinestones-Martha Stewart Create; Blue Rhinestones-Michael's 
Inks/Embossing Powders:  Tim Holtz Distress Ink- Fired Brick; Color Box Liquid Pigment Chalk Ink-White; Ancient Gold Embossing Powder-Enchanted Gold by Ranger
Adhesives:  Xyron 5" Sticker Maker; 3M Foam Tape; Zots; ATG Gun 
Tools:  Big Kick; Spellbinders Impressabilities-Snowflake; Spellbinders Nestabilities Dies-Classic Rectangles-Large; Martha Stewart Punches-Pine Sprig and Snowflake; Heat Gun; My Favorite Things Die-namics Die-Well Worn Collection 

No comments:

Post a Comment