Saturday, January 14, 2012

Birdcage All Occasion Card

Hello everyone!  Hope your Saturday has been wonderful.

Today's post is another Cricut Expression project.  This time I used Bloom, which is a Cricut Lite cartridge.  It has a lot of cute images, but I happen to love birds and birdcages, so this is the one I chose.




The colors I chose for this card are a bit different--even a little bohemian.  I pulled all of them from the patterned background paper from the Poteeka Souffle paper pad by The Paper Studio.

I began with my base card in an olive tone cardstock--again, something I would never ordinarily choose, but I decided to just go with it and see where it took me.  I then created a border with my paper punch for the bottom in a lighter, brighter green of the same color family, and layered it on top of a scrap of hot pink.  The darling patterned paper is set above, and the whole thing is matted on a metallic charcoal gray cardstock--yet another choice that is way out of my comfort zone, lol!

To make the transition between different papers, I added a wide, hot pink ribbon base, and then two shades of orange ribbon on top of that.


The birdcage itself is cut in two layers.  The shadow layer was cut from a sparkly, gun metal cardstock (from Walmart), and the upper layer from a solid pink.




As you can see from this photo, I embossed the entire pink layer with my embossing powder and heat gun in order to create a sharp contrast from the sparkly shadow beneath.  I then mounted the entire cage on foam tape to lift it from the page.

The bow was tied with two ribbons--a pale peach and a bright orange.  I then accented the cage in various places with flat-backed pearls which began as white, but were easily colored in with markers to match my color scheme perfectly.

The birdcage image appears in the booklet with flowers in the lower left-hand corner, but I decided to forgo cutting the flower layer and, instead, add brightly colored daisies.  The leaves behind are velvety to add yet another texture.





The inside of the card showcases darling little birds.  This is one of the coordinating patterns in the Poteeka Souffle paper pack.  I just couldn't resist using this paper--these little birds are so cute!


The bird in flight was fussy-cut from the pattern and popped up on foam tape.  The added bling helps set her in motion!  :o)

Had I been pressed for time, I could easily have cut a darling little bird with my Cricut machine.  There are numerous cartridges with plenty of birds to choose from.



To the side of the little bird, I placed some dimensional stickers I found in the dollar bin at Michaels, with the middle sticker atop a little pink daisy.  I just love friendly little daisies!


If you look closely, you will see that there was no bright orange in the patterned paper, so I simply outlined some of the birds with my orange marker to blend it all in with my color scheme.  I do that quite often when I want to add a little bit extra here and there.


On the back of my card, I always stamp my business stamp on coordinating cardstock to match the overall theme.



This was a super fun card to create and I really enjoyed making it.  My Cricut machine makes it so easy to cut pretty shapes to create a card just perfect for any occasion!


Thanks for visiting today and I hope you join me again soon on another project!

Merilee


No comments:

Post a Comment