Friday, January 27, 2012

Masculine Trifold Card

Hello Everybody!  I hope you are all having a wonderful Friday!

Today I'm going to share another masculine card.  It seems like I've been doing a lot of these lately, lol!  As girlie as I am, I do enjoy making masculine cards.  It gives me a chance to stretch my creativity in a different direction.
This card is a trifold card.  I did not use my Cricut machine on this project.  Instead, I fussy-cut directly from the patterned papers.  The collections I used for this card are The Main Street Stack and The Downtown Loft Stack, both by DCWV.  I really like these collections for the retro styling, as well as the multitude of unique backgrounds.
The striped background is a simple vertical stripe that I cut into one inch strips and mitered at each corner.  I didn't bother to match up the pattern in the corners, but you could certainly do that if you like.  The pattern features lots of different sayings and I chose two of them for the card front, cut them out from a different sheet, and popped them up for dimension.  
The metallic button was threaded with off white twine and adhered with a dimensional glue dot.  I then wrapped the twine around the card three times and coiled it around the button.  The dimensional glue dots are perfect in this instance.  Not only do they adhere the button firmly, but they keep the coiled twine from coming loose, too.
At the end of the twine, I added a letter brad by snipping off the tongs on the revers side with my needle nose pliers, and then backing it with patterned paper matted on black cardstock.  I used hot glue for this, since I wanted really good adhesion from end to end.
When the card is opened, the first flap you see is covered in a different pattern.  This pattern reminds me of a kerchief.  You can see from this photo that the card base is done in Kraft cardstock.  I love this cardstock!  I have found a multitude of styles that look great with it.  In fact, this is the end of my stash and I'm going to need to go shopping before I can create with it again...darn the bad luck, lol!  ;o}
This little emblem was made from the extra paper used on the front of the card and matted on black cardstock.  I added another metallic button at the top, threaded with black ribbon and placed over top of a loop of red velvet ribbon.  All of this was secured with hot glue to make sure it was secure.
The inside of the card was done in an off white brick pattern matted over top of black cardstock.  I love creating lots of layers for dimension and added interest.  
If you look closely you can see that I scored between each brick in the grout lines to add a bit of detail.
I then fussy-cut another piece of the patterned paper, again matting it on black cardstock, and adding metallic brads on each corner.  
The entire plaque is popped up on pop dots for dimension over top of red velvet and black satin layered ribbons.  As you can see in this photo, I always try to ink the edges.  It really helps to create the feeling of depth between layers.
Of course, each card needs its own matching envelope.  This envelope stands vertically and opens at the top.  I used my Martha Stewart punch to create the corners on the address label.  Didn't it turn out cute?  I love that punch!
As you can see here, the envelope is 1/4 inch deep to accommodate the thickness of the card.

Well, I hope you enjoyed today's project.  I had fun creating it.  Thank you very much for visiting today and I hope you will join me again soon!

Merilee

2 comments:

  1. Very nice masculine card. I always have a hard time making a masculine card. Thanks for some nice tips

    ReplyDelete