Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Corner Bookmark Card

Hello!  How is everyone on this fine Wednesday?  I hope this finds you all well and busily enjoying your day!

Today I have a corner bookmark card to share with you.  This is one of my all time favorite cards--I love the concept.


As you can see, it is a masculine card with the airplanes featured on the front, but it is also a useful card, which makes it a favorite of mine.  Instead of collecting dust or ending up in a keepsake box, or worse--a trash can (yikes) like so many other cards  :-O, this card can actually be put to good use once opened...and that makes me happy!


The construction of this card begins with a postcard base made from Kraft cardstock.  The papers used are from the Traveler Specialty Cardstock Collection by Me & My Big Ideas.  I bought this paper pack because of its uniquely masculine designs.  I love the maps and airplanes, especially since I was raised in and around the aircraft industry and then married a man in the industry, too, lol!

I found a great tutorial on youtube by jillsink1, which features a corner bookmark card.  Now, if you view this tutorial, you will see that I did not follow Jill's instructions at all...I can't help it, I can never follow creative instructions.  No matter how hard I try, I always seem to veer off course into my own direction, adding and/or subtracting along the way.  It is a default in my circuitry which I just cannot seem to correct.  However, having said that, I actually LOVE the way this card turned out and, better yet, it is uniquely mine, so that makes it all better!  :o}


Okay, back to the card...you can see there are several layers to this card.  I covered my card base with patterned paper matted twice--first in gray and then in blue, and then stamped a sentiment on a banner label cut by hand using the Foot Longs stamp set by Hampton Art.  (To save time, you could easily use your Cricut machine for this banner label.)  

I then searched my scrap bin to find a suitable piece of sturdy acetate and cut a piece to fit the front of my card base.  This particular acetate is recycled from the Cricut blister packaging (I never throw anything away--another default in my circuitry, lol!).   Using the star border from the Cuddlebug Measure by Measure embossing folders, I ran the acetate through my Big Kick machine to emboss and then poked holes through the center three stars through which I attached my tiny star brads.  I was a bit surprised at how easily this acetate was embossed and what a great impression it took from the folder!  

Once that was finished, I adhered the acetate to the bottom of my card using Scor-Tape for a secure bond, since that will be the only place in which the acetate will be held to the card.   Then I adhered my label over top to hide the bond and further secure the acetate to the card.  Isn't that paper clip cute?  I confiscated that from my husband's stash, lol!



On the upper edge of the acetate, just over top of the main focal image, I stamped my sentiment with the Hero Arts, CL156 stamp collection.  I always use StazOn Ink when stamping over top of non-porous surfaces such as acetate.  Once I was finished, I adhered black corners to define the airplane underneath the acetate.  Note:  As stated above, the acetate is only secured at the bottom of the card base.


In these photos, you can see the front (right) and the back (left) of the corner bookmark.  As you can see, the bookmark slips over the corner of the book page.  In this instance, it will slip over the corner of the acetate to be the focal point of the card.  (If you click on any of these photos, you can get a closer look.)


Here you can see what it looks like finished.  If you look closely, you can see that the photo on the bookmark is the same image featured on the card base.  I cut them to match up exactly when the bookmark is in place.


I will feature the bookmark with all of the details in tomorrow's post, along with a link to a youtube video tutorial.  In the meantime, I hope you enjoyed my card!


Thank you for joining me.  Have a wonderful day and I'll see you again tomorrow!

Merilee

No comments:

Post a Comment